Number of employees
approx. 690 (December 2012)
Siegen, North Rhine-Westphalia
- Bogies center of excellence
- Design, development and production of bogies, services for the complete product life cycle of the bogies
Number of projects
Back to top
Siegen, the worldwide centre of excellence for bogies, has been producing customised bogie solutions for national and international rail traffic for more than 100 years. Since 1996, the site in the south east of North Rhine-Westphalia has also been the headquarters of the bogies business unit, which spans a total of eight locations. The FLEXX bogie portfolio provides the industry’s most comprehensive selection of sophisticated bogie solutions and covers the entire range of rail vehicles. FLEXX bogies are based on decades of experience as well as the technical expertise of the team in Siegen, who contribute to the continual strengthening of the portfolio thanks to their innovative developments. Alongside bogie solutions for internal and external customers, a complete range of services is offered during the whole lifetime of a FLEXX bogie.
Main Products and Contracts over the last ten years
- Bogie solutions for light rail vehicles, trams, metros, regional trains, high speed trains and locomotives.
- IRIS (International Railway Industry Standard), certified according to Rev. 01
- Quality management system, certified according to DIN EN ISO 9001:2008
- Occupational health and safety management, certified according to OHSAS 18001:2007
- Environmental management system, certified according to DIN EN ISO 14001:2009 and EMAS III as per EC No 1221/2009
Back to top
- Formation of a forge in Siegen by Carl Eberhard Weiss designed for the production of tools for the mining industry
- Production of the first self-designed freight wagons for transporting coal
- New plant in Dreis-Tiefenbach near Siegen
- Grouping of wagon production in the company "Siegener Eisenbahnbedarf AG" (SEAG)
- Start of passenger coach bogie production
- SEAG (Thyssen) and DWM (Quandt-Gruppe) found "Waggon Union GmbH, Berlin"
- Takeover of the complete bogie business of Westwaggon Cologne-Deutz; from then on, production of standard bogies for passenger cars, type Minden-Deutz (MD)
- Merger of Thyssen and ABB to form "ABB Henschel AG"
- Merger of railway activities of ABB and Daimler Benz (AEG) to form Adtranz
- Discontinuation of freight wagon production, specialisation in bogies for passenger transport
- Acquisition of Adtranz by Bombardier, Siegen becomes the international centre of excellence for bogies
- Restructuring to increase the annual capacity and establishment of services for bogies
- Record production of 3,126 bogies; an increase of 22 per cent compared to 2008
- Opening of Wheelset Centre
Back to top
In 36 countries, around 35,000 employees are developing and manufacturing sophisticated rail transport solutions. Our German sites provide high-tech engineering services and form the backbone of our production in Europe.
It is important to Bombardier that our employees develop both professionally and personally and are keen to contribute to our collective success. That also includes fostering young talent. At the Siegen site we offer the following opportunities:
- Integrated degree programme: subject area – mechanical engineering
- Technical professions, e.g. industrial mechanic, machinist, production engineer, mechatronic technicians, technical product designers
- Sales professions, e.g. industrial business management assistants, business administrators for warehouse logistics
Are you interested in one of the jobs or training positions offered at the Siegen site? On our Careers website you can search for current job postings. Please note that positions in the manufacturing field are only advertised regionally and are therefore not available via the search function. If you are interested in a manufacturing or training position, please contact the personnel representative in Siegen.
Back to top